New Dress Patterns And Tutorial

It's been a long time coming, but here are some new sewing patterns! I posted a sneak peek on my Instagram about a month ago and I finally got around to making some for the tutorial. These are two new dresses. I'm calling them a Wrap Dress and a Empire Waist Dress. The Wrap Dress is a completely new dress while the Empire Waist Dress is made just like the gathered dress I did earlier, so follow the tutorial for this dress here. The only difference is that didn't make the skirt portion as poofy.

I know it can be hard to print these off. I may have a new way to share these but I'm not sure yet. So, for now, save the image and print to fill the whole page. The page size I've based these on should be 8.5" x 11". Please remember anything you make if just for personal use. Don't resell these patterns as your own or sell finished pieces made from these patterns. Thanks. =)

WRAP DRESS TUTORIAL

Here's What You'll Need:

  • Fabric
  • Thread
  • Velcro (or other closure)
  • Fray Check (optional)
  • Scissors
  • Needle or Sewing Machine
  • Pins

As shown above in the two photos, choose your desired fabric and cut out the pieces. You'll need two of a couple of them. For this tutorial I chose the long sleeves. Make sure with the front piece you have two mirroring pieces. This is where you use the Fray-Check if you want.

Hem the sleeves. It's small, about 1/4".

Take the two straps and fold them two sides towards the middle and then half. Fold down one end and sew down on two edges.

Next, put the right sides together on the shoulders and sew with that tiny hem. I determine this width like my other tutorials. I measure starting at the needle in the middle of the foot to the edge of the hole where the needle goes. I hope that makes sense.

Take your time with this one. Attach your sleeves to the arm hole; make sure it's right sides are touching. This is how it will look when you're done with both sleeves.


Now, take the dress and fold it so you can sew down the sleeve onto the side of the dress. This is where you will insert one of the straps. Do this for both sides and your dress should look like the bottom photo.

Hem the sides on the dress. Same width as the sleeves.

Hem the collar and the bottom. The collar will be a smaller hem, so take your time with it.

Turn the dress right side out and you're done!



Here's an example of a short sleeve and long sleeve side-by-side.

 

EMPIRE WAIST DRESS

As I said earlier in this post, follow the tutorial for the gathered dress. It's the exact same steps. I decided to show a picture of the pieces cut out and a finished version. You can kind of see that the skirt portion is smaller than the gathered dress. This one is 3.5" x 10".


As you can see, the Empire Waist Dress looks a lot the gathered dress. There's just less fabric and a higher waistline. I think the fabric I chose would be a great Christmas dress, especially if I added a red ribbon around the waist. All in hindsight now, hahaha.

Be sure if you make anything to let me know! Share here in the comments or on Instagram with @disneynuimosdiy. Have fun crafting!

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing! Now off to the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! I'm excited to see the finished products. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for creating another awesome diy for us nuimo fans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I am having a hard time printing. The pants are way off when I made them. Any helpful hints? Maybe a scale on the patterns so we can figure out if we are close?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These dresses are amazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made the Empire Waist dress for Judy Hopps and it turned out really well! I've attempted making my own Nuimo sewing patterns before but none have been as successful as using your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited to try these new dress patterns! Your blog has ignited my passion for sewing again. I can't wait to see what other "clothing patterns" and tutorials you'll share in the future. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Clothes Pattern (Part 1)

nuiMOs Sorcerer Mickey Outfit (And Shoes)